Sunday, February 19, 2012

Earth tones & mid-century swedish design


Earth colors look great in every interior. It's classic, warm but with a calming effect, and it brings a touch of nature in a room. This vase, the "Spiral vase", designed in 1950-51 by the Swedish ceramist Ingrid Atterberg (1920-2008) is one of my favorite. The simple yet stunning pattern with white and yellow glazed spirals over a matte brown ceramic is now an icon and a must-have for any mid-century ceramics collector. Atterberg designed the series while working with Uppsala-Ekeby (1944-1963), and it includes vases in different sizes, lided jars and plates. I wish I could find the floor vase, it's quite spectacular!
   The print (screen print?) was found in a thrift store, and as soon as I saw it, I loved it, for the colors, the exotic subject, and the gorgeous teak frame. I can't read the signature, unfortunately, but it's dated 1955. If someone has any info about the artist, I'd be super happy to hear about it!

Images from Nordiska Style



No comments:

Post a Comment